Tasty meals for CKD patients
Chronic kidney disease is a long-lasting kidney disease leading to renal failures that may last for years or be a lifelong disease. The prime causes of chronic kidney disease are diabetes and high blood pressure. The kidneys fail to filter the excess fluid and waste materials and so gradually wastes build up leading to the improper functioning of kidneys . The early stages of chronic kidney disorder reveal few signs or symptoms which include vomiting ,nausea , fever , muscle cramps, tiredness, trouble sleeping ,swollen feet and ankles and increased frequency of urination especially during nights . The first symptoms might not realise that you have a kidney disease until or unless the conditions advances leading to some severe complications.
The exact treatment for CKD is still unknown. Generally ,the treatment focuses on slowing the progress of kidney damage , usually by controlling the cause . The disease symptoms are controlled from the very first stage . A proper consultation with the doctor is necessary . Maintain hygiene and health properly. A proper nutritious diet is maintained along with a surplus amount of water to detox the body . Try getting some tasty yet healthy meals to fill with nutrition and health . Avoid spicy foods and excess salt in food. The good choices of food for the dialysis diet includes grilled , broiled , or baked recipes . Stick to high intake of
Fruits – Berries , grapes ,cherries , apples , plums and other fibrous fruits.
Vegetables – Cauliflower, onions , turnips, broccoli .
Proteins – lean meats , eggs , unsalted seafood, chicken breasts .
Carbs – white bread , bagels , sandwich buns , brown bread.
Drinks – water , unsweetened tea , other fruit juices.
A proper diet keeps your kidneys healthy . Here are some renal friendly tasty recipes for kidney patients.
- Loaded veggie eggs ( Anda Bhurji)
Loaded veggie eggs recipe is a versatile renal diet breakfast recipe. Eggs are a great option for kidney patients and what if we can add some crumbled veggies into it to increase the nutrition and fiber content. And to escape a boring meal everyday, add some fresh herbs and bland absolutely lovable to nourish your kidney health. This meal takes care of low potassium intake in diet. Other low vegetables that you can load on to the eggs are cauliflower quite sautéed or roasted , yellow peppers, onion, and garlic . Add some flavourful fresh herbs . Fresh herbs are full of proteins and vitamins and increase the flavour of food. Ingredients Used
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cauliflower ( Ghobi)
- 3 cups of spinach(Palak).
- 4 eggs .
- 1 garlic clove(Lahsoon ki kali) .
- ¼ cup bell pepper( capsicum/ Shimla mirch).
- ¼ cup chopped onions.
- ¼ tablespoon black pepper ( kali mirch)
- 1 tablespoon of oil , generally coconut oil.
- Fresh parsley( Ajamod) and spring onion.
*Optional tomatoes on side .
- Beat eggs with black pepper with a whisk until it feels light and fluffy. Keep it aside for some time.
- Heat oil over the medium heated skillet.
- Add onions and Sauté till it looks golden .
- Add garlic , stir quickly and add cauliflower and spinach immediately.
- Sauté Vegetables in a medium low heat and cover for 5 minutes with a lid.
- Add eggs to it and combine with vegetables .
- Eggs when cooked thoroughly , top with fresh parsley, coriander or spring onions.
- You can also add those optional tomatoes if there are no limitations on your potassium intake with cracker bell pepper.
To cut the phosphorus and cholesterol amount ,you can use 8 egg whites instead of those yellow egg yolks.
This is a very simple yet diversifying recipe great for kidney patients. You can also add some optional vegetables and herbs for more flavour that includes corn, eggplant, leeks, squash, broccoli and sautéed radishes. Make it more flavoursome with a few drops of lemon .
- Rava Dosa
Rava Dosa has low potassium as well as low sodium content. A renal friendly Rava Dosa is little modified than the traditional one to cut down the potassium intake. It is very crispy, tasty yet healthy for kidney patients.
- 2 tablespoons of cumin( jeera) .
- 1 cup rice flour.
- ¼ cup rava ( semolina)
- ¼ cup yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon Amchur powder.
- 1 cup water
- Coriander or tomatoes for chutney .
How is it made ?
- Grind some roasted cumin to make it into powder and keep it aside.
- Make the batter. Take a large bowl and add ¼ cup semolina , ¼ cup rice flour, ¼ cup yogurt, the cumin powder, and 1 tablespoon Amchur powder. Mix it well , gradually add ½ cup water and mix well until it looks smooth.
- Keep the batter aside for half an hour to ferment and let semolina soften for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes .
- Heat the pan to a medium heat. Check it by putting drops of heat. Don’t overheat the pan otherwise it will overcook.
- When the pan is hot , pour ¼ cup of batter and spread it to cover the entire surface, preventing it from sticking to the sides and clumping.
- Reduce the heat to medium flame to stop overcooking.
- Let the dosa cook till the edges start to look brown.
- Use a spatula and loosen the dosa from the surface.
- Also flip the dosa to let the other side cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Then serve the dosa with some chutney to enjoy a flavoursome meal yet delicious filled with nutrition.
Start the day off with a healthy breakfast with a quick and easy omelette recipe. Eggs are always a good option for kidney patients.
- 2 whole eggs.
- 2 tablespoons of water.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
- ½ cup fillings( vegetable or meat) .
- Beat the eggs including the yolk with water until it feels soft and consistent.
- Heat the pan and drop some butter on it.
- Put the mixture of eggs in the pan .
- Use a spatula , push out the part of the outer edges and flip the omelette to the other side.
- To the other side, add the prepared fillings and let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Fold the omelette with a spatula and serve it on the plate with a little garnishing.
The meal has low potassium, low phosphorus, low sodium and high protein content great for a healthy breakfast and dinner .
- Greek Salad ( Kachalu)
Greek salad is kidney friendly as a side dish or a main meal. The meal is completely plant-based and low in sodium and potassium content. It is a 15 minutes recipe ,quickly ready full of nutrition.
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper( capsicum/ Shimla mirch) .
- 1 cup chopped cucumber( kheera).
- ¼ cup chopped red onion( pyaaz) .
- 10 each pitted green olives( Jaitoon).
- 1 can garbanzo beans( chickpeas) low in sodium.
- Chop the vegetables including those olives and put them in a large bowl.
- Rinse canned garbanzo beans and add to the same bowl.
- Make a dressing as well as toss the salad.
- Refrigerate the prepared salad for 1 hour before serving time. This is optional .
- And enjoy this special salad to surprise your kidney with nutrition.
- Easy Chicken and Pasta
Bored of those veggies in a renal diet , switch to some non- veg dishes abundant in fiber and proteins. Escape those monotonous meals , get some pasta with a flavoursome chicken ready at ease.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil( coconut oil)
- ½ cup sliced red bell pepper( Red capsicum/Lal Shimla mirch)
- 1 cup sliced zucchini ( tureei)
- 2 cups of cooked pasta of any shape.
- 5 ounces of cooked chicken breasts .
- 3 tablespoons full of low sodium Italian dressing( Italian sauces ).
- Heat olive oil (coconut oil) , sauté zucchini and pepper on a non-stick skillet( pan) until it looks tender crisp. Remove it to a paste .
- Cut down the chicken breasts into strips.
- Heat cooked pasta and chicken strips in the microwave into separate dishes.
- Toss the prepared pasta with Italian dressing and with chicken strips and sautéed vegetables.
Can kidney patients take spices ?
Spices as well as herbs are used for the improvement of taste , aroma and appeal of food. High intake of spices may turn out to be harmful for kidney patients. They should avoid spicy foods , deep fried foods etc. To keep up a proper balance in the body . However , kidney patients may include some of the spices and herbs in their dialysis diet . Some of these are :-
- Rosemary( Daauni)
- Garlic ( Lehsoon)
- Oregano( ajwain ki patti).
- Chilli( Mirch)
- Ginger( Adrak)
- Cinnamon( Dalchini)
- Basil( Tulsi)
Can kidney patients take lime or lemon?
Along with the recommended herbs and spices , researchers also suggest some intake of lime or lemon. Lemon has Vitamin C and citrate which helps prevent calcium forming stones and increases urine levels of citrate which helps to treat kidney diseases.